Monday, November 8, 2010

Whats new??

Well not a whole lot, which is happy and sad news all at the same time. The nurses warned me from the beginning that what keeps preemie babies in the NICU the longest on most cases is their ability to learn suck, swallow, and breath and to just be patient. I thought to myself, "That won't be the case with Brantley, we will be out of here in no time." Well the nurses were right and patients has never been one of my very strong points. I struggle knowing that the only thing that is keeping Brantley from coming home is his eating ability. I want him home so bad but there is nothing I can do about it. I can't make him eat. Right now I can't really do anything but hold him and change an occasional diaper and take his temperature. I feel helpless. Not like a real mother. But on a positive note Brantley is now over is birth weight. Just barely but hey we are so happy! I am also healing very well. I itch like crazy across the incision, but I can sleep comfortably once again. I can lay on my belly and back and sides. It is fantastic! Life is still a little crazy and feels a little empty. Ever since I was in the hospital my days have been all mixed up and so has my schedule. But I don't' think life or my schedule will be complete or normal until we get Brantley with us all the time. We sure do love that little guy!

5 comments:

  1. it's hard to balance things out after a baby comes! I bet it is frustrating to have the nurses doing a lot of the work for him. But you are doing more than you know by being there, and him being close to you. He knows you, I bet you give him so much comfort! He's been with you the last 8 months plus some. You are doing the best you can, you are a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're being a great mom! You're doing all that you can do and thats what matters. Don't worry, he'll be home before you know it. So glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i'm so anxious for you to have Brantley with you also! You and David are being such champs. Keep it up! Little guy just needs to get a little bit stronger. Let me know if you need anything, even if it's just a fun day out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there! We will pray for him to develop the ability to eat on his own. He will get it, for sure! You are doing a great job just being there. I'm sure it is such a comfort to him. He knows his Mom and his Dad, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Janica talking about the itching. I've heard that the suck/swallow thing comes in at about 36-37 weeks. So hopefully once he's that age he'll get it. It's sooo hard to wait! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete